Show/Hide Navigation Menu
We Buy Any House in Any Condition, FAST...

Why Use Us To Sell Your House?

  • No Fees
  • 7 Day Sale
  • Best Prices
  • Any Condition
Property Buyers - Code of Practice Trustpilot - 5 Stars
Get Your Free Cash Offer Arrow pointing to form

Get your FREE cash offer now

Privacy Guaranteed
Rest assured, none of your details are ever shared with third parties under any circumstances.

Sell your house without delay with leading property company Sell House Fast.

Contact us today for a fast property valuation and guaranteed cash offer, within days!
You want to sell your home and we want to buy it - it really is that simple. Our qualified advisors work across the UK to ensure a direct sale on your property in the quickest time possible, no estate agents necessary.
Get Your Quote

Fully trusted members of

  • napb
  • Information Commissioner's Office
  • The Property Ombudsman

11 Documents You Need To Sell Your House (UK)

What documents do I need to sell my house?

What documents do I need to sell my house?

You have decided to sell – maybe even started the process, great. Now you need to organise the paperwork – a huge step within the selling a house process. So what do you need to sell a house? We have compiled a complete checklist of the documents that will be requested of you during the conveyancing process, from proof of identity to an Energy Performance Certificate.

1) Management Information Pack

The management information pack is crucial when you want to sell property quickly  as it contains vital information that could sway a buyer’s decision to purchase your house. As the pack can take several weeks to arrive, it is essential to purchase the management information pack as soon as possible. The documents can be obtained through a solicitor. However, you can also acquire the pack yourself through the freeholder or your managing agent.

2) Proof of identity 

Gather documents that prove your address and appearance (photo ID). To prove your address you will need either a utility bill or a bank statement. Whereas you will need a copy of your passport or driving licence to prove your appearance. 

If you do not have any form of photo ID then we suggest applying for a drivers licence. This form of ID can take as little as one week to receive. However, always apply far in advance – just in case! You need to ensure your paperwork is to hand if you want to sell your house quickly at a good price. Afterall, some buyers are willing to walk away on a deal if you are not prepared or delay the process. 

3) Leasehold / shared freehold documents

You will need to provide either a lease or Share Certificate depending on the type of agreement you have. If the property is leasehold, you will need a lease. Whereas, the Share Certificate is required for shared freehold homes.

4) Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

An energy performance certificate (EPC) is a vital document which will be required when you sell. When you ask someone, “what documents do you need to sell a house?” they usually immediately think of the EPC. Yet, when you are actually going through the selling a house process these documents are frequently forgotten. What’s more, these documents can easily get lost! If you lost your EPC you can access a copy at the register by providing your address.

5) Property Title Deeds

To sell your home you will likely need the original property title deeds. These official documents state the chain of ownership of your home. If you do not have the deeds, check whether the deeds are digitally registered with HM Land Registry under your name. 

6) Fittings and contents form (TA10)

The TA10 form enables both parties to reach a clear agreement as to what will be included in the sale of your home. For example, whether the white goods and curtains are incorporated in the sale. The document is presented with information on a room-by-room basis to ensure a thorough and holistic disclosure of all the items you are leaving to the buyer. If you have a garden or outdoor space, the TA10 will also specify the contents within these areas.

7) Property information form (TA6)

The property information form is hefty to complete, but is a document required to sell your property. The detailed form covers everything from any current tenants to boundaries and even the ongoing complaints and disputes with neighbours. So be sure to set aside the necessary time to compile this form. If your paperwork isn’t organised, then your home may not sell in accordance with the average selling time in the UK.

8) FENSA certificates for windows and doors

What is a FENSA? It is a certificate given to people who have had replacement doors or windows since 2002. You may need to supply the FENSA certificate when you sell your house. If you haven’t lived in the home since then, check the homes records to find out if this work has taken place. It is likely the previous owner will have left this certificate upon sale of the property. 

9) Replacement boiler

Documentation will need to be gathered if you or a prior owner has replaced the boiler. For instance, be sure to provide the gas safe certificate or CORGI. As with all service records, buyers may demand an up to date service to take place if you cannot provide the required records.

10) Electrical Certificates

You will need all certificates regarding electrical work around your home. For example, rewiring or electrical replacements. Anelectrician should be able to supply the building regulations compliance certificate or an electrical safety certificate for you to pass on to the next homeowners.

11) Alterations and extension documentation

Did you add an extension or make an alteration to add value to your property before selling? If so, you will need proof that the legal process was adhered to. For instance, that you acquired building regulation approval and planning permission before your renovations took place. Of course, not all refurbishments require permission. However, it is vital to be in the know from the offset to prevent delayed sales. 

Too busy to gather the necessary paperwork?

It is a long list of documents that you need to sell a home. We completely understand. However, you don’t have to gather the documents yourself. If the move is taking a toll on you or your job is taking up all your time, you may wish to sell through a company that can sort out all the legal documents on your behalf. If you choose to sell via an estate agency, be sure to watch out for these common tricks agents play on homeowners.

What documents do I need to sell my house?
Photo Credit: Elnur / Shutterstock

What do you need to sell a house through a property buying agency?

What you need to supply usually depends on the company. However, companies such as SellHouseFast do not require endless documents as they have an in-house team who gather all the paperwork for you. Usually, all you need to do is answer a few quick questions regarding the property. The team will then work together with solicitors to complete the sale.

Feature Image: smolaw / Shutterstock

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Two easy ways to get a no obligation offer for your property.


Get your FREE cash offer now

By submitting your details you are NOT committed to sell your house